At Rollin’ Oats, we try to make every day a celebration of our wonderful planet.
One way is by giving our customers biodegradable plastic bags made from polymers and poly-lactic acid, and no polyethylene. (Unfortunately, these biodegradable plastic bags account for less than 1 percent of the global market.) Compared with paper bags, producing these biodegradable plastic ones uses less energy and water and generates less air pollution and solid waste. However, it is best to bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store. Keep canvas bags in your home, office, and car so you always have them available when you go shopping. Think twice about taking a plastic bag if your purchase is small and easy to carry. Try to go at least one week without accumulating any new plastic bags. If every shopper took just one less bag each month, this could eliminate the waste of hundreds of millions of bags each year!
Other Green Tips include:
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Be an organic consumer
- Make your own or invest in GREEN cleaning products
- Plant a garden
- Install a rain barrel to water your garden and plants
- Ride your bike or car pool if possible
- Participate in Meatless Monday & eliminate meat from your diet one day a week
- Switch to CFLs, or Compact Florescent Lightbulbs
- Avoid extra packaging and waste by shopping from our Bulk Bins
- SHOP LOCAL!
To celebrate our wonderful planet, cook up a delicious green dinner for your friends and family! We have our menu planned!
- Edamame Hummus with Celery Sticks
- Green Salad with Red Wine Dijon Vinaigrette & Roasted Chickpeas
- Brown Rice Spaghetti with Kale Pesto
- Pumpkin Pie Fudgie Babies
What about you? What are you doing to make your Earth Day special?
Have a Great Day! See you at Rollin’ Oats!
It’s going to be a great class!
(If you are coming from St. Pete it is ONLY about a 20 minute drive from our St. Pete location! Click here for directions)
Have a great day! We will see you at Rollin’ Oats!
Have a great day & we will see you at Rollin’ Oats!
March is National Nutrition Month & Almased is here to help you reach your weight loss goals!
Come join us for a FREE class on weight loss with Almased.
This informative talk will address:
What makes Almased so special?
How a protein-rich meal replacement like Almased can:
- Promote weight loss
- Boost the metabolism
- Support healthy blood sugar levels
14-Day Figure Plan
How to make an Almased shake
Have a great day! See you at Rollin’ Oats!!
How about celebrating with beets?
Beets tend to get a bad rap, but are one of our favorite vegetables.
Whether roasted whole or shaved, raw on atop a salad, they lend a natural sweetness that complements many meals.
However, taste is not the only reason to go “beet crazy”! According to studies printed in the American Heart Association journal Hypertension, drinking one cup of beetroot juice per day lowers blood pressure! Within one hour of drinking, beetroot juice boosts our internal production of nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure.
Try this recipe, generously adapted from Marion Owen. Your guests will never guess the secret ingredient… BEETS!
Chocolate Beet Brownies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cooked beets
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- Melt butter, pumpkin puree, and chocolate over low heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light in color and foamy. Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until well creamed.
- Stir in chocolate mixture, followed by applesauce and beets.
- Sift together flour, salt, spices and baking powder and stir into creamed mixture.
- Fold in wheat germ and almonds.
- Turn into greased 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
The Oats Café serves fresh vegetable juices every day.
So stop by and get your juice fix before someone “beets you to it”!