Friday should be a day of celebration! The work week is over and done. The weekend is beginning. The sun is shining and the whole world seems a little bit brighter! What better time than Friday to have a cookout?
When you typically think of a cookout what comes to mind? Is it the big meaty hamburgers or your Uncle Lester’s “famous” baked beans? Is it the potato salad or your Aunt Lucy’s (Lester’s wife) “infamous” banana pudding? While fun, cookouts can be a calorie fest if you are not careful. The calorie laden sides and rich desserts can be your diet downfall! BUT, they don’t have to be.
Here are a few tips to maintain your healthy diet throughout the summer months of BBQs!
- Become a “Veg-Head”- Load your plate with fresh vegetables and salads FIRST. This will cause you to have less room on your plate for the higher calorie foods.
- Drink Like a Fish- Many people falsely recognize thirst as hunger signals. If you think you are hungry, try drinking a glass of water before hitting up the chips and dip.
- Skip the Skin- To save on fat and calories, remove the skin from your grilled chicken and turkey.
- Back Off the Beer- We all know how good a cold beer tastes on a hot day. Unfortunately, we also know how unkind beer can be to our waistlines. To limit your caloric intake, drink a glass of water in between each beer. You will consequently drink half the amount you would have otherwise.
- Don’t Be Fooled by Sneaky “Salads”- Avoid salads laden with calorie and fat heavy mayonnaise and dressings. If possible, use a healthier mayo substitute. We recommend Follow Your Heart Vegenaise.
- Don’t Deprive Yourself- If you are craving dessert eat a cookie… but don’t eat ten! If you want a hamburger, eat a normal size patty, not the typical super-sized cookout version. It is all about portion control and intuitive eating.
- Play!!!!- After eating get up and move! Start a tag football game. Go for a walk. Enjoy this beautiful weather for what it is, an excuse to play outside!
Stop by Rollin’ Oats for your cookout supplies! We have delicious, lean Bison Burgers (OR delicious Meatless & Gluten Free Sunshine Burgers) which are lower in fat, calories, and cholesterol than a burger made with Beef. All natural Hot Dogs are also available, along with Whole Wheat OR Gluten Free Buns. Don’t forget the Watermelon. Our Organic Watermelons!