It’s a vicious cycle. Stress seems to cause more stress. Before you know it you find yourself in a dangerous tailspin and looking like this!
Did you know stress effects more than just your mental state? Stress can cause a magnesium deficiency. In turn, this deficiency can magnify stress even more! Magnesium does more than simply control stress levels. It is essential for heart, kidney, and bone health. “Studies have also linked magnesium deficiency to depression, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, and asthma.” (Association Between Magnesium intake and Depression and Anxiety…” by F.N. Jacka et al., Aust N Z J Psychiatry, 1/09)
Magnesium supplements are one way to combat magnesium deficiency, diet is another. Foods rich in magnesium include:
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Swiss Chard
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Black Beans
- Navy Beans
For a magnesium packed dinner, enjoy this recipe!
Broiled Salmon on a bed of sautéed Spinach with toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 Henry & Lisa’s frozen Salmon Filets, defrosted
- 2 tsp Napa Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Herbamare and Black Pepper
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 Tblsp Napa Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh, organic Baby Spinach
- 1/2 c organic Pumpkin Seeds
- In a large flat bottom, dry skillet roast pumpkin seeds over medium heat. Shake or stir seeds continuously to prevent burning.
- When seeds begin to pop, turn golden, and become aromatic they are done. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Heat a medium sauté pan and 1 Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and allow to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Do not burn!
- Add fresh organic baby spinach and sauté until just wilted and stir in toasted pumpkin seeds. Remove from heat.
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- Place Salmon filets on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Herbamare, black pepper, and dried thyme.
- Massage oil, herbs, and spices into the salmon.
- Place salmon and foil on a baking sheet and place in oven about 5 inches from the heat.
- Allow to cook 7-10 minutes until golden brown on top, remove from oven.
- To serve, place sautéed spinach and pumpkin seeds in the center of your plate. Top with cooked Salmon. Garnish with fresh lemon slices if desired.
Heart healthy, magnesium packed, clean food at its finest! Bon Appetit!
For a magnesium packed lunch, stop by the Oats Café for Black Beans served over Brown Rice and a bowl of hearty Fish Chowder!
Have a great day! See you at Rollin’ Oats!