“Wake-y, Wake-y! Eggs and Bake-y!”
A healthy day starts first thing in the morning!
- Eat Breakfast- Each morning should begin with a balanced breakfast containing protein and fiber.
Studies have shown increased blood sugar levels and a tendency towards obesity in individuals who skip breakfast. These increased statistics lead to an increased risk of developing chronic disease.
Looking on the “sunny-side”, eating a balanced breakfast will give you more energy and concentration to tackle your day! Try these healthy, nutrient packed ideas for an “egg”-cellent jump-start to your day:
- Scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato paired with whole grain toast and fresh fruit
- Oatmeal mixed with fresh berries and sprinkled with Cinnamon, Flax Seed Meal, and Chia Seeds
- Yogurt Parfait
Many of us are rushed in the mornings. Plan ahead and stock-up on a fiber containing protein powder fortified with vitamins and minerals. Combine your protein powder in a blender with your favorite beverage and fresh fruit and you have an excellent meal on the go! Here is my favorite recipe for a healthy breakfast smoothie that uses both fruit AND vegetables!
Green Monster Smoothie
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 1 Frozen Banana
- about 4 Strawberries
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 large handful fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 scoop Protein Powder of choice (I prefer the vegan, plant based protein powder Life’s Basics Unsweetened Vanilla)
- drizzle Madhava Light Agave Nectar (optional)
- Peel frozen banana and cut into chunks.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and combine until smooth.
This may sound strange, but trust me! You can’t taste the spinach, and it’s a great way of starting your day off on the right foot!
If you are too rushed to prepare your breakfast smoothie, the Oats Café serves breakfast!
Made to order Breakfast Bagels are available on Monday – Saturday from 9:00 AM until 11:30 AM and Sunday from 10:00 AM until 11:30 AM.
Egg & Cheese Bagel: a large, Whole Wheat Bagel Free Range Egg & your choice of Swiss, American, or Soy Cheese - $2.49
Egg, Bacon & Cheese Bagel: a large, Whole Wheat Bagel, Turkey Bacon, Free Range Egg & your choice of Swiss, American, or Soy Cheese - $2.99