We made it through Thanksgiving!
Before we can move on to December’s “sugar and spice and everything nice” recipes, we must clean out the refrigerator of Thanksgiving leftovers!
There is no need to discard your turkey carcass!
Instead, make homemade Turkey Stock! It’s rich and delicious flavor will produce some of the most delicious soups you will ever eat. While you are out enjoying this weekend’s holiday sales, thrown the following ingredients in your crock pot. You will arrive home to a house filled with the most delectable aroma and a delicious turkey stock.
Crock Pot Turkey Stock
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free)
- 1 Turkey Carcass, stripped of any leftover meat
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh Thyme
- a handful fresh Italian Parsley
- 2 cloves Garlic, smashed
- about 3 quarts Water
- Place all ingredients in a large crock pot in the order listed.
- Cover and cook on Low for 12-24 hours (depending on how dark you want your stock).
- Allow stock to cool before straining.
- Place a colander over a large bowl and strain stock to remove the large pieces.
- Second, strain through a fine mesh sieve or a cheesecloth to remove any fine pieces and the herbs.
- Allow to cool completely before storing.
- Stock will keep 3 days in the refrigerator, or 6 months in the freezer.
I recommend dividing stock into freezer safe quart containers for ease of use.
Take a break from the Black Friday sales and stop by Rollin’ Oats for lunch. Our Cafe’ will provide you with the healthy fuel your body needs to get back out there and conquer those sales!