We may be in Florida, but we are still in the South!
It may be Meatless Monday, but we still want a hearty meal!
Biscuits n’ Gravy is a southern classic! Normally, laden with artery clogging butter and greasy sausage, it is not your typical “health food”. BUT IT TASTES SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!
We believe any food, no matter the stigma, can be made healthy… or at least healthier! We took Biscuits n’ Gravy & vegan-ized it without sacrificing any flavor! Get ready to be amazed!
Southern Biscuits n’ Gravy
- 4 c All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 c Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (chilled in the freezer)
- 1 1/4 c Soy Milk
- 1 1/4 c Water
- 1 Tblsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tblsp Flax Seed meal combine with 3 Tblsp warm Water (equivalent to 1 large egg)
- 1 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 1 (14 oz) pkg LightLife Gimme Lean Vegan Sausage
- 2 Tblsp Earth Balance Vegan Butter Substitute
- 3 Tblsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 c Soy Milk
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt.
- Using a box cheese grater, grate the Earth Balance into the flour. (Freezing the Earth Balance makes it easier to grate.) Mix until well combined & Earth Balance is evenly distributed.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Using a large spoon, drop dough onto a greased baking sheet to form drop biscuits.
- Cook in preheated oven about 15 minutes, until golden.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Crumble Gimme Lean Vegan Sausage into the skillet, breaking up any large pieces, and cook until browned & heated through. Set aside.
- Melt Earth Balance in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour to form a roux.
- Slowly add the soy milk, stirring constantly until thick.
- Season with Salt & Pepper, to taste.